Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona

Illustration

Wanda Marcussen
by HSwaff
published on 17 February 2020
Send to Google Classroom:

The obelisk was ordered to be constructed by Emperor Domitian (r. 81 - 96 CE). It was sculpted in Egypt and transported to Rome where it originally adorned the temple of Isis and Serapis. It now stands in Piazza Navona and is part of Gian Lorenzo Bernini's (1598 – 1680 CE) Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of Four Rivers).

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

HSwaff, . (2020, February 17). Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/11926/obelisk-of-the-fontana-dei-quattro-fiumi-piazza-na/

Chicago Style

HSwaff, . "Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified February 17, 2020. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/11926/obelisk-of-the-fontana-dei-quattro-fiumi-piazza-na/.

MLA Style

HSwaff, . "Obelisk of the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, Piazza Navona." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 17 Feb 2020. Web. 21 Jun 2021.