Temple of Derr, Egypt

Illustration

Carole Raddato
by
published on 13 March 2022

The Temple of Derr is a rock-cut temple built by Ramesses II (r. 1279-1213 BCE) and dedicated to Re-Harakhte, Amun-Re and Ptah. It is located at the site of New Amada, an archaeological complex containing three ancient Nubian monuments spared from the rising waters of Lake Nasser. The temple contains two hypostyle halls and three chambers, the central one containing cult statues of the three gods worshipped here and the deified Ramesses II. The temple features some unusually bright painted reliefs with vivid colours.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

Carole Raddato
Carole maintains the popular ancient history photo-blog Following Hadrian, where she travels the world in the footsteps of emperor Hadrian.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Raddato, C. (2022, March 13). Temple of Derr, Egypt. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/15417/temple-of-derr-egypt/

Chicago Style

Raddato, Carole. "Temple of Derr, Egypt." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified March 13, 2022. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/15417/temple-of-derr-egypt/.

MLA Style

Raddato, Carole. "Temple of Derr, Egypt." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 13 Mar 2022. Web. 26 Sep 2022.

Membership