Gerf Hussein Temple, Egypt

Illustration

Carole Raddato
by
published on 12 March 2022

The free-standing courtyard of Gerf Hussein temple in New Kalabsha near Aswan in southern Egypt. This temple was erected by Setau, the Viceroy of Kush, on behalf of pharaoh Ramesses II (r. 1279-1213 BCE) in Lower Nubia. It was dedicated to Ptah and Hathor. The rock-cut section of the temple was abandoned to the rising waters of Lake Nasser in the 1960s and remains submerged today, but the forecourt was rescued and reassembled at the site of New Kalabsha.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

Carole Raddato
Carole maintains the popular ancient history photo-blog Following Hadrian, where she travels the world in the footsteps of emperor Hadrian.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Raddato, C. (2022, March 12). Gerf Hussein Temple, Egypt. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/15396/gerf-hussein-temple-egypt/

Chicago Style

Raddato, Carole. "Gerf Hussein Temple, Egypt." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified March 12, 2022. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/15396/gerf-hussein-temple-egypt/.

MLA Style

Raddato, Carole. "Gerf Hussein Temple, Egypt." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 12 Mar 2022. Web. 04 Dec 2022.

Membership