Ruzhany Palace, Belarus - Reconstruction

Illustration

Jan van der Crabben
by Budget Direct
published on 14 May 2021
Send to Google Classroom:

The Sapieha family - power-brokers of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - built Ruzhany Palace in the late 1700s over the site of their earlier castle. In its heyday, Ruzhany’s famed theatre employed 100 performers. The palace also possessed a famous library and picture collection.

In 1831, the palace was leased to the Pines family as a textile factory, bringing wealth to the local Jewish community. Ruzhany’s palace, Jewish community, and political independence all came to a violent end during World War II. Today, the region is controlled by Belarus, which has begun restoring Ruzhany to its former glory.

This reconstruction was commissioned by Budget Direct, a travel insurance company.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Direct, B. (2021, May 14). Ruzhany Palace, Belarus - Reconstruction. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/14022/ruzhany-palace-belarus---reconstruction/

Chicago Style

Direct, Budget. "Ruzhany Palace, Belarus - Reconstruction." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified May 14, 2021. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/14022/ruzhany-palace-belarus---reconstruction/.

MLA Style

Direct, Budget. "Ruzhany Palace, Belarus - Reconstruction." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 14 May 2021. Web. 27 Sep 2021.