Ruins of Disibodenberg Monastery

Illustration

Arienne King
by E-W
published on 15 April 2019
Send to Google Classroom:

The large Benedictine Monastery of Disibodenberg was built in 1108 by Archbishop Ruthard of Mainz (c. 11th Century - 1109 CE). According to tradition, St. Disibod of Ireland had settled what became known as Disibodenberg in 640 CE. Disibodenberg Monastery was home to St. Hildegard of Bingen (1198 - 1179 CE) for around 40 years.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

E-W, . (2019, April 15). Ruins of Disibodenberg Monastery. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/10457/ruins-of-disibodenberg-monastery/

Chicago Style

E-W, . "Ruins of Disibodenberg Monastery." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified April 15, 2019. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/10457/ruins-of-disibodenberg-monastery/.

MLA Style

E-W, . "Ruins of Disibodenberg Monastery." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 15 Apr 2019. Web. 13 Jun 2021.