Thessaly and the Duchy of Neopatras
Thessaly was an independent state in medieval Greece from 1267 or 1268 to 1394 CE, first as the Greek-ruled Thessaly and later as the Catalan and Latin-ruled Duchy of Neopatras. Under its sebastokrators, Thessaly was a thorn in the side of...
Despotate of Epirus
The Despotate of Epirus was one of the successor states of the Byzantine Empire when it disintegrated following the Fourth Crusade's capture of Constantinople in 1204 CE. It was originally the most successful of those successor states...
Duchy of Athens
The Duchy of Athens was a Latin or Frankish state in Greece that existed from 1205 to 1458 CE. It was created in the aftermath of the Fourth Crusade (1202-1204 CE) and would be ruled for the majority of its history by the Burgundian de la...
Despotate of the Morea
The Despotate of the Morea was a semi-autonomous appanage of the later Byzantine Empire. The Byzantines retook part of the Peloponnese in Southern Greece in 1262 CE, but the Morea was only officially governed by semi-autonomous despots of...
Pelopidas (c. 410 - 364 BCE) was a gifted Theban general and leader of the elite Sacred Band who, along with Epaminondas, is credited with helping Thebes rise to its greatest power. Defeating the mighty Spartans in several battles Pelopidas...
Coin of Manuel Komnenos Doukas
Trachy of Manuel Komnenos Doukas, Emperor of Thessalonica and then ruler of Thessaly, (r. 1230-1241 CE).
Thessalonian Silver Didrachm
Silver didrachm from larissa, Thessaly, 395-344 BCE. O: Head of the nymph Larissa. R: Horse trotting.
A centaur was a creature from Greek mythology which was half-man and half-horse. The head, arms and torso were human and joined at the waist to the body and legs of a horse. These creatures represented barbarism and unbridled chaos and were...
Map of Greece under Theban Hegemony
A map showing ancient Greece at the time of Theban hegemony, 371 BCE to 362 BCE.
Division of the Byzantine Empire, 1204 CE.
A map indicating the division of the Byzantine Empire following the sack of Constantinople in 1204 CE during the Fourth Crusade.