Stone Ruins from Arates Monastery in Armenia

Translation Fundraiser

Our vision: Free history education for everyone in the world, in every language. That's a lofty goal indeed, but that won't stop us from working towards it. To get there we need to translate... a lot! Please donate today and help us make a truly global impact. Thank you very much!
$1303 / $3000

Illustration

James Blake Wiener
by
published on 06 April 2018
Send to Google Classroom:

Arates Monastery in Armenia is built on top of a hill and overlooks the Arates tributary of the Yeghegis River. The monastery's name came from the combination of “ari” ("come" in Armenian) and “tes” ("see" in Armenian). The group of half-ruined monuments consists of the St. Sion and the St. Astavatsatsin Churches, and two gavits. It is likely that the site dates back to the 7th century CE, but the oldest inscription dates only to the 9th century CE. Most of the ruins date from the 10-13th centuries CE, and the khachkars and tombstones date from between the 10-17th centuries CE.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

James Blake Wiener
James is a writer and former Professor of History. He holds an MA in World History with a particular interest in cross-cultural exchange and world history. He is a co-founder of World History Encyclopedia and formerly was its Communications Director.

References

Cite This Work

APA Style

Wiener, J. B. (2018, April 06). Stone Ruins from Arates Monastery in Armenia. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/8549/stone-ruins-from-arates-monastery-in-armenia/

Chicago Style

Wiener, James Blake. "Stone Ruins from Arates Monastery in Armenia." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified April 06, 2018. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/8549/stone-ruins-from-arates-monastery-in-armenia/.

MLA Style

Wiener, James Blake. "Stone Ruins from Arates Monastery in Armenia." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 06 Apr 2018. Web. 02 Dec 2021.

Membership