Narikala Fortress in Tbilisi

Illustration

James Blake Wiener
by
published on 16 October 2017
Send to Google Classroom:

This photograph shows a portion of the Narikala Fortress, which runs parallel to the city of Tbilisi, Georgia and the Kura River. The fortress was first built in the 4th century CE and later expanded by the Umayyads during the 7th century CE. David IV of Georgia (r. 1089-1125 CE) also expanded the walls and the fortress during his reign.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

James Blake Wiener
James is a writer and former Professor of History. He holds an MA in World History with a particular interest in cross-cultural exchange and world history. He is a co-founder of World History Encyclopedia and formerly was its Communications Director.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Wiener, J. B. (2017, October 16). Narikala Fortress in Tbilisi. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/7445/narikala-fortress-in-tbilisi/

Chicago Style

Wiener, James Blake. "Narikala Fortress in Tbilisi." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified October 16, 2017. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/7445/narikala-fortress-in-tbilisi/.

MLA Style

Wiener, James Blake. "Narikala Fortress in Tbilisi." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 16 Oct 2017. Web. 23 Sep 2021.