Temple Mayor, Tenochtitlan

Illustration

Mark Cartwright
by Wolfgang Sauber
published on 24 September 2013
Send to Google Classroom:

A model reconstruction of the Temple Mayor at the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan. In use from the 14th to early 16th century CE, the huge pyramid was topped by two temples, one dedicated to Tlaloc, the god of rain (north side), the other to Huitzilopochtli, the god of war (south side). (National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City).

Remove Ads

Advertisement

Cite This Work

APA Style

Sauber, W. (2013, September 24). Temple Mayor, Tenochtitlan. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/1439/temple-mayor-tenochtitlan/

Chicago Style

Sauber, Wolfgang. "Temple Mayor, Tenochtitlan." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified September 24, 2013. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/1439/temple-mayor-tenochtitlan/.

MLA Style

Sauber, Wolfgang. "Temple Mayor, Tenochtitlan." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 24 Sep 2013. Web. 19 Oct 2021.