Phra Siratana Chedi

Illustration

Kim Martins
by
published on 20 May 2020
Phra Siratana Chedi Download Full Size Image

On the grounds of Wat Phra Kaew (Bangkok) and a one-minute walk from the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is a golden stupa called Phra Siratana Chedi, erected by King Rama IV in 1855 CE to house Buddha relics. It is a bell shape on a circular base in the Ceylonese style and gives further power and merit to the Chakri dynasty. It is the tallest structure in the grand palace complex and can be seen from the Chao Phraya River. Photo taken 2019 CE.

Remove Ads
Advertisement
Subscribe to this author

About the Author

Kim Martins
Kim is a freelance writer based in New Zealand. She has a B.A. (Hons) in History and an M.A. in Chaos & Complexity Science. Her special interests are fables, mythology, and exploration throughout the early modern world.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Martins, K. (2020, May 20). Phra Siratana Chedi. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/12272/phra-siratana-chedi/

Chicago Style

Martins, Kim. "Phra Siratana Chedi." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified May 20, 2020. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/12272/phra-siratana-chedi/.

MLA Style

Martins, Kim. "Phra Siratana Chedi." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 20 May 2020. Web. 14 Jun 2024.

Membership