Wat Phra Si Sanphet

Server Costs Fundraiser 2024

Help our mission to provide free history education to the world! Please donate and contribute to covering our server costs in 2024. With your support, millions of people learn about history entirely for free every month.
$1964 / $18000

Illustration

Kim Martins
by
published on 26 April 2020
Wat Phra Si Sanphet Download Full Size Image

This temple, which was used as a model for the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, was built in 1492 CE in the grounds of the former royal palace. It was known as the King’s Temple since it was used by the royal family for ceremonies, and the restored three main chedis (the Thai term for stupa) contain the ashes of three Ayutthayan kings. This photo shows the three chedis and was taken in 2019 CE.

Remove Ads
Advertisement
Subscribe to this author

About the Author

Kim Martins
Kim is a freelance writer based in New Zealand. She has a B.A. (Hons) in History and an M.A. in Chaos & Complexity Science. Her special interests are fables, mythology, and exploration throughout the early modern world.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Martins, K. (2020, April 26). Wat Phra Si Sanphet. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/12125/wat-phra-si-sanphet/

Chicago Style

Martins, Kim. "Wat Phra Si Sanphet." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified April 26, 2020. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/12125/wat-phra-si-sanphet/.

MLA Style

Martins, Kim. "Wat Phra Si Sanphet." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 26 Apr 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2024.

Membership