The Gladiators Barracks in Pompeii

Translation Fundraiser

Our vision: Free history education for everyone in the world, in every language. That's a lofty goal indeed, but that won't stop us from working towards it. To get there we need to translate... a lot! Please donate today and help us make a truly global impact. Thank you very much!
$1353 / $3000

Illustration

Carole Raddato
by
published on 29 September 2019
Send to Google Classroom:

The quadrangular portico located behind the stage of the Large Theatre of Pompeii was originally designed as a space for the audience to stroll in during the intervals of the theatre shows. After the earthquake of 62 CE, the building changed its function and was turned into barracks for the gladiators who were accommodated in the cells arranged along the sides of the quadriporticus. Helmets and richly decorated parade armour belonging to the gladiators were found in many of the rooms. The structure dates from the 1st century BCE.

Remove Ads

Advertisement

About the Author

Carole Raddato
Carole maintains the popular ancient history photo-blog Following Hadrian, where she travels the world in the footsteps of emperor Hadrian.

Cite This Work

APA Style

Raddato, C. (2019, September 29). The Gladiators Barracks in Pompeii. World History Encyclopedia. Retrieved from https://www.worldhistory.org/image/11297/the-gladiators-barracks-in-pompeii/

Chicago Style

Raddato, Carole. "The Gladiators Barracks in Pompeii." World History Encyclopedia. Last modified September 29, 2019. https://www.worldhistory.org/image/11297/the-gladiators-barracks-in-pompeii/.

MLA Style

Raddato, Carole. "The Gladiators Barracks in Pompeii." World History Encyclopedia. World History Encyclopedia, 29 Sep 2019. Web. 02 Dec 2021.

Membership